Friday, March 27, 2009

Bishop Gene Robinson Interview with SOV

This is a good interview and I bet you will enjoy reading it. Here is one of Bishop Gene's statements:

Robinson: Really my argument is that we believe in the separation of church and state, and I believe in that wholeheartedly, and what I perceive in the secular movement towards equal rights for gay folk is that we have an instance where the state is impinging on the secular society.

Normally churches worry about the state impinging on them. But this is a case where beliefs about homosexuality amongst Jews and Muslims and Christians are actually affecting the secular debate over gay civil rights. If you factored out the religious opposition to our civil rights, I think we would be there...

Yes, I think religion could do everyone good, but my argument is not that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people have to be religious. But even if they are not religious, they have to pay attention to the religious arguments, because that really is what is holding us back from equal rights.


He sure got THAT right! Enjoy!